Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Different Perspective


      
This cartoon is not particularly funny, but it does express how many people feel about immigration in America. Being an immigrant myself I cannot say that I am against immigration. It seems that this cartoon was targeted towards people that were actually born here. One thing that is good about people moving to America from other countries is the fact that a lot of them are actually really smart and want to live here because they are able to get higher paying jobs. This is not always the case, but look at Albert Einstein and Arnold Schwarzenegger, they are immigrants but they also have achieved a lot while living in America. It looks like the people in this cartoon worry about immigrant's effect on America's economy. This really sounds like they are just trying to find a scapegoat to blame for every one's problems. Compared to Europe, which is where I am from, America sure has a lot more immigrants living here. In Europe it is sort of the opposite because everyone puts a lot of stock into their family trees and ethnicity. Overall I think that immigration is always going to be a big aspect of America, but it is up to the government and not the immigrants to find ways to regulate it.
http://www.leftycartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/immigration_history_color.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I am actually very interested in immigration so that is what I did my research paper on. Well it was illegal immigration to be more specific. I found it interesting how the US government is so concerned with the effects immigrants are having on the ecconomy. They claim immigrants are harming it, but in some reasearch I found , of course I can't remember the name, it said that immigrants are the real reason so many towns and cities can survive. So I agree with you when you say "it sounds like they are just trying to find a scapegoat to blame for every one's problems."

    ReplyDelete